Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Happy Weight


Happy Weight-this is my reference (also a website given to me by my sis) to finding balance in your life and doing what makes you happy. The thing that came into my mind first was those weight loss commercials we have all seen. These commercials make me laugh because they make it look like all you have to do is take some pill and you will have perfectly toned abs, no "problem areas" or extra skin, or that pooch from being pregnant (not to mention,according to those girls in the commercials, not only will you be skinny, but you will also have a great tan!) This simply is not the case, it is false advertising and most likely, photo shop that gets the credit here. The sad truth is, unless you are blessed with the genetics to be naturally lean and have a high metabolism, (like the Paris Hilton of genetics,being a celebrity because you were born into this fortune and don't have to do really anything to get it) then your general body shape is going to stay the same, pretty much no matter what you do. That doesn't mean you can't look great, it just means, after you have done all you can, you have to learn to accept yourself and love yourself. I went to the gym this morning to workout on the elliptical and saw this very thin girl running on the treadmill. She honestly had no fat on her whatsoever and her waist naturally went in like she was a drawn disney princess. I found myself thinking, "Man! That is so unfair!" I had to catch myself though. I do need to remember all the work I do put it in and give myself some credit. I used to think that once I reached my goal weight, that was it and I was done with the work. But the truth is, once you get to the weight you want to be at, you have to work almost just as hard to maintain it. It's difficult to stick to it all the time, but if I don't, I end up gaining weight back. Ya, I almost always have to be careful about what I eat in order to maintain, but that doesn't mean I have to be perfect at it either. What I have learned is that, I am just happier when I am taking good care of myself and eating healthy. I feel better. I feel out of whack if I don't plan my meals ahead and stick with my fitness and nutrition plan. I also constantly try to keep in mind, every girl's weight fluctuates from time to time. Months ago, I got to about the lowest jean size you can get without being in the negative, but my body doesn't seem to want to stay there. I was there for a few months. Occasionally, they will still fit but only after atleast a week of doing a VERY strict and unrealistic diet. A diet that makes me extremely moody and tired.
It's hard for me not to constantly compare myself to others, and keep wishing I could change the things about my body that I don't like. My sister and I were talking about this a while back and she was saying how once your body is at the weight it should be, it wants to stay there. Listening to your body and what it needs, is a key factor. She told me about a website called "Happy Weight.com" that she found out about. It tells you what your ideal weight range is for your height and what your healthy weight should be. She recommended checking it out. It also helps reinforce all the hard work you have put in and makes you feel better. She said I would probably be even under what my weight range should be. That, of course, does make me feel good! The toughest thing for me is being completely happy with myself. Trust me, my husband and I have this conversation much more than he wants to. I believe I will get there though, slowly but surely, I will become more accepting of myself. I am learning to try and stop beating myself up and not get so obsessed with weight that I lose sight of who I am and how far I have come. I need to also be doing it for the right reasons. Stick with what works, not only to be happy, but to be healthy too! Remember all of the other things in your life that you have been blessed with, and why those things make you happy!



1 comment: