Wednesday, February 9, 2011

"Berried" Treasure

fresh berries isolated
As we all know, fruits and vegetables are not only a good source of fiber and vitamin C, but can also reduce the risk of certain cancers.They also promote healthy vision and can help get rid of bladder infections. Not to mention, they are low in calories, wonderful and sweet! I love to go to Costco and get those big crates of raspberries and strawberries. The problem is, they always go bad before I can actually use all of them. This little tidbit may seem fairly obvious, but I hadn't really thought of it until I ran across some new breakfast recipes. Here is my latest little gem. Frozen berries. Frozen berries not only stay good longer, but also save money. A small plastic container of fresh strawberries at the regular grocery store can cost up to six dollars! I like the birds eye frozen mixed berries. It has blueberries,strawberries, raspberries and blackberries. It comes in a resealable bag, so its convenient and easy to get the small amount I need. One bag is about three dollars. Which really isn't too bad when you compare that with the cost of buying all those berries fresh. If I were to buy those all individually, there is no way I would be able to use them all in time and it would get expensive. Another great idea I found was to mix a handful of the frozen berries with some sugar free syrup to put on whole wheat pancakes or waffles. It has a very good, sweet taste. It makes it hard to tell that it is sugar free syrup you are eating! Here are a few zone diet breakfast recipes I have found and use all the time. They have become some of my favorites. I used to use fresh fruit in them, but have found the frozen berries are just as good. These are simple, quick breakfasts that keep me satisfied all morning long. It's always great to find things I like, that are also good for me too.

Blueberry Yogurt Breakfast
1 c. lowfat yogurt (I like to use Greek Yogurt,another new favorite of mine. It is all natural, fat free and good source of protein. I like to add some truvia to it to sweeten it a little more)
1/2 c. blueberries
1 Tbs. slivered almonds
Mix together and enjoy!

PB&J yogurt
1 c. greek yogurt
1 Tbs. all natural Peanut butter
1 scoop protein powder (I just skip this step if I don't have it)
1/2 c. strawberries (or a mix of frozen berries)
Mix together and eat as is, or put in freezer for 15 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment